“An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
According to ‘America’s Popular Proverbs and Sayings’ by Gregory Titelman, this expression was first found as a Welsh folk proverb in 1866:
‘Eat an apple before going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread’.
Extract Taken From BookBrowse.com
Besides the above mentioned background for this saying, it is also believed to have come from an ancient Roman proverb since they truly believed the apple had magical powers to cure illnesses.
Whether an apple is forbidden or magical, here are 9 hard facts/reasons why an apple really keeps the doctor away:
- Apple contains Vitamin C, a vitamin that helps our immune system
- Apples are rich in flavonoid, which helps prevent both coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease
- A regular size apple has between 70-100 calories.
- Apples target multiple cancers such as colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer in women.
- Apples contain phenols, which reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
- The juice of the apples has properties that can kill up to 80% of bacteria.
- Apple has substances called phytonutrients, which prevents neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinsonism.
- A research at the University of Nottingham Research shows that people who eat 5 apples or more per week has lower respiratory problems, including asthma.
- Their taste can vary greatly, but still give you all the apple benefits. Variety is an important element to maintaining your health.
Now, you can have apples on your ear to keep those…hmm…ear-bugs away? 😛
Have fun reading!
Cheers & TTFN~ 😀
This entry was first posted on Share with Us @ Clouds N Cups (27th August 2012) and we would like to thank 20 lovely souls for pressing the ‘Like’ button and the following lovely soul(s) for commenting:
- Fayegreendesign ~ I love these! Where do you find the pieces? The selection you have is so diverse – these studs are especially creative.